Friday, February 20, 2015

Dr.Acevedo: My Paradise

Precious Acevedo

                     My Paradise
     There are many different unique cultures and traditions all over the world. Many that have inspired me to find out more of where my ancestors were originated. My ancestors are from the beautiful Caribbean island of Dominican Republic. In Dominican Republic there are many delicious foods that are apart of they're many traditions.   

  Traditional Cuisnes 
    In Dominican Republic they celebrate similar holidays as we do here where I'm from, New York, but just a little differently. One of the holidays Dominicans celebrate, as we do, is Easter. On Easter Day in D.R. ,as a tradition, family and friends come together as one and have a big feast. For Easter in D.R. A feast would include only meat such as fish with eggplants, white rice, and etc. A popular dessert served on Easter Day in Dominican Republic is Habichuela con Dulce. This dessert consist of red beans, cinnamon, nutmeg,coconut milk, evaporated milk,and raisins garnished with milk cookies or with casabe ( a flatbread made of yuca flour ). There are many popular traditional dishes in Dominican Republic shown below. 

Habichuela con Dulce


Morir Soñando | A popular sweet beverage of the Dominican Republic usually made of orange juice, evaporated/milk, sugar, and chopped ice.


La Bandera | A traditional Dominican dish of which consist of red beans,rice ,meat (fish, chicken, pork, beef), and salad. 
 
Yaroa | This dish consist of French fries, sweet plantains,chicken, beef, pork ,lots of cheese, and condiments like ketchup, mayo, and mustard.

Sancocho | This dish is very well known in Dominican Republic which is a delicious (from my perspective) stew which includes chicken ,beef ,pork , along with other meats and vegetables served in broth.

My Daily Foods
   Many people would say or think that I would eat these Traditional Dominican dishes on a daily basis, to be honest no, no I don't . Most of the time if I'm not eating any of my Dominican dishes I would sometimes have food from take-out resturaunts. Such as , for example, Popeyes, McDonalds, Subways, Dominoes, and etc. Also, sometimes I would have a homemade dish of rice, chicken, and beans with a side of salad.. along with a beverage of course of sprite, Pepsi, vitamin/water, and/or an Arizona. 

Dominoes Pizza


Popeyes


Arizona Juices


Do I Agree or Disagree?
    Many people believe that modern Americans today have lost their many cultural traditions. Being proud and celebrating their culture is something I agree isn't being shown or expressed as much in our society. Their are many new businesses that have caught our attention for us to engage in that have pulled us away from that perspective of supporting where each and every one of us come from. Such as many of the take-out resturaunts that we now use as a easy getaway to eat from instead of being able to embrace out unique cuisines from our many different backgrounds.

The Flip Side
    Although , I couldn't say that the people that believe Americans today, are, embracing those individual cultures are wrong . This is because there are people who strongly do still follow those traditions strictly as a form of respect to their country and culture . However, at the same time the amount of people following their religions are very few. I believe this because in this generation there are many things that have caught our eyes to pull away from our originated backgrounds , from our beautiful distinctive cultures that we should embrace and be proud of more often than usual.Therefore, where my ancestors come from is a beautiful island by the name of the Dominican Republic, My Paradise.
 




   

No comments:

Post a Comment