Monday, February 23, 2015

Dipped in Corn to Our Mouths: French Fries

The Surprising Discovery about French Fries


Something shocked me today while I was looking for foods that contained some form of corn on it.  If you know me, you know that I love french fries. I really do. Yet, of course, it was victim to the rule of corn, one of the largest food domination that's taking over the world, and- apparently our bodies. Though, not a direct ingredient of french fries, these potato strings are cooked in vegetable oil containing corn.

         
"In fact, corn oil is the most popular frying oil used for cooking french fries at major fast food outlets. Researchers found that 69% of national fast food restaurant chains serve french fries containing corn oil, compared to only 20% of small-business restaurants."
 http://www.webmd.com/diet/20100119/corn-oil-used-most-often-french-fries

I was mind-blown. One of my favorite foods had to succumb to the power of corn. And let me just tell you- it is what the name says- corn oil is made purely of corn. So what we're basically eating are fried potato strings latched with grains of corns melted on the outside of it. Very interesting- and yet weird at the same time.

So, I can infer that since many fast food restaurants use this oil to make the french fries, it's safe to assume that the ingredients came from the industrial food chain. The chain starts in a giant field, usually in the Midwest, where one type of crop is grown- such as corn- and ends up in a supermarket or fast-food outlet. Since many businesses want to earn profit and get corn that's tastier, more better, and less cheaper, they most likely buy the hybrid corns or the ones that are genetically modified. I mean hey- do you see McDonald saying that their french fries are "organic?" If they are, tell me, I'm going to buy me some french-fries tomorrow. Let's face it, corn infested or not- we're sill going to love these addicting, delicious potato strings for years to come.


5 comments:

  1. Great voice and vocabulary-really captivating read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great voice and vocabulary-really captivating read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just hope I don't develop a phobia of corn after this unit because of the fact that apparently it's everywhere.

    ReplyDelete